This challenge came to me courtesy of Jenna Moreci and Sam Kasse, who created this.
The way you play this tag game is to answer the following questions in relation to one of your WIPs or a novel that you wrote and published. I’m currently in the middle of editing my first novel, Love Notes, so I decided that I will answer the questions for this novel.
The rules, courtesy of Sam’s Tumblr, are:
#1 – Provide a BRIEF description of your novel before starting.
#2 – Don’t use the same character for more than 3 answers.
So what is Love Notes? It’s a chick lit novel about an aspiring pianist named Allie, who meets Jethro, the bass player of an indie blues-rock band, on the New York City subway. Their new relationship becomes complicated when Allie becomes a contestant on a talent search reality show. As Allie adjusts to being on camera, she has to figure out how to define herself as a musician or lose herself to the blinding lights of fame.
Here we go.
- It’s Halloween night! What is your protagonist dressed up as? Allie would dress up as Osgood from Doctor Who or Molly Hooper from Sherlock. She’s a huge fan of both shows.
- Who in your cast refuses to dress up and shows up at the Halloween party without a costume? The most likely candidate for that is Kristine, Allie’s mentor. She’s very prim and proper, being the Token Reality Show British Critic that she is, and doesn’t like Halloween because of the wild parties and kids begging for candy. The only reason she would be at a Halloween party is if it was some kind of music-related charity event.
- Which character wears the most outrageous costume, and what would it be? Regan would win the category of most over-the-top costume. She idolizes Katy Perry, so she would dress up as Katy Perry in the “California Gurls” music video.
- On Halloween, werewolves, vampires, and zombies are on the prowl. Which of your characters gets caught in their clutches, and which creature do they subsequently turn into? Love Notes takes place in a world without any paranormal creatures, but zombies were huge in the Love Notes universe. Therefore, I can imagine one of the Songbirds turning into a zombie. The Songbirds are Regan’s little “worker bees” who don’t really think for themselves. Being zombies is totally fitting for them, anyway, because they’re aimless social parasites.
- Who wins the contest for best costume? Stephanie, Allie’s younger sister. Stephanie works for a fashion show and she’s friendly with all the contestants who compete in it, so she can easily have a great costume ready to go.
- Who hands out toothbrushes to the trick and treaters? Allie’s mother, Annalee. Annalee works as a pharmacist, so she’s particularly health-conscious.
- Which two of your characters decide to pair up and do an angel/devil costume together? Cassie and Pete, the drummer and keyboard player (respectively) for Jethro’s band, Digital Poltergeist. They are all about the couple costumes. Cassie would dress up as a devil because she’s mischievous and brash. Pete would be the angel because he’s sweet and soft-spoken. They are adorable together.
- Someone is too scared to even attend the Halloween party. Who is it? Allie is the most likely candidate for this because she has general anxiety disorder and doesn’t like big, crowded, loud parties. She might go if it’s just a small party with her sister and friends or if they’re just hanging out somewhere in costume.
- Who overdoses on Halloween candy and ends up sick? Ted, the sleazy lead producer of the show that Allie competes in. Ted is overindulgent in general and he would go overboard with candy and alcohol.
- Which character is most likely to place a curse/hex on someone and who would they curse? Regan would definitely place a hex on Allie if she had the power to do so if it means winning the competition. She’s a real dog that way.
I encourage anyone else to join in on the fun. This is a great way to get to know your characters!