NaNoWriMo starts soon. By the time you’re reading this, it’s already Day 1. I decided that I want to start NaNoWriMo off by talking about my project. The best way to do that is to do the All Hallow’s Tag again!
The rules are:
#1 – Provide a BRIEF description of your novel before starting.
#2 – Don’t use the same character for more than 3 answers.
My project for NaNoWriMo is called My Ex is a Vampire, the first installment of a young adult urban fantasy/paranormal series called Tales of the Vocati. The Vocati are humans gifted by the fairies to fight and kill vampires and other evil creatures that lurk in the night. My Ex is a Vampire centers on Jane and Andy, two members of the Vocati. Jane is a student who’s practically perfect in every way. Andy is a delinquent who seems to be nothing but trouble. The only things they have in common? They love to fight vampires, they fight well together, and their exes have become vampires. How will they take their exes down? That’s what I’ll find out this NaNoWriMo.
Here we go.
- It’s Halloween night! What is your protagonist dressed up as? There’s an actual chapter in My Ex is a Vampire that centers on Halloween. Jane dresses up as a girl from the Regency era and Andy dresses up as an aristocratic vampire, also wearing Regency clothes.
- Who in your cast refuses to dress up and shows up at the Halloween party without a costume? Susanna, Andy’s fairy godmother, is one of the few characters who chose not to dress up for Halloween. Susanna seems like your typical housekeeper and she has a very demure look, but she had a very harsh life, growing up during the Marcos era in the Philippines. It’s hard for Susanna to have fun.
- Which character wears the most outrageous costume, and what would it be? At the moment, I’m picturing Donovan, one of Jane’s best friends, dressed up as a clown. He wouldn’t be a scary clown, a la Pennywise or Joker, but more of the typical fun circusy clown. Donovan is very outgoing with a great sense of humor and his senior superlative will be “Class Clown,” so the costume totally fits.
- On Halloween, werewolves, vampires, and zombies are on the prowl. Which of your characters gets caught in their clutches, and which creature do they subsequently turn into? Zombies don’t exist in My Ex is a Vampire, but vampires and werewolves do. Jane’s boyfriend, Conner, and Andy’s girlfriend, Katherine, both get turned into vampires in this novel. Hence the title.
- Who wins the contest for best costume? Although there’s not a costume contest in my novel, I think Leticia would definitely win this. Even though Leticia is introduced as your typical high school cheerleader mean girl, she is also Mexican, so she would dress up with a sugar skull painted on her face and a beautiful traditional Mexican folk costume a la Coco. Leticia sees this as honoring the culture she comes from, especially since she also celebrates Dia de los Muertos.
- Who hands out toothbrushes to the trick and treaters? Principal Mallory, without a doubt. Principal Mallory is the beleagured principal who tries to keep a handle of the craziness that goes on in North Austin High School, where my characters all go. (The story takes place in Austin, TX.) Principal Mallory is all about order and discipline, so she would hand out toothbrushes to remind everyone to take care of their teeth.
- Which two of your characters decide to pair up and do an angel/devil costume together? As surprising as this may sound, Jane’s parents choose to dress up as this for Halloween. Jane’s mom, Bethany, chooses to dress as an angel because it’s an easy costume to wear and she’s a very warm, friendly person. Jane’s stepfather, George, would dress like the devil because he has a very mischievous, deviant past. It also contrasts to his usual bookish, introverted personality.
- Someone is too scared to even attend the Halloween party. Who is it? The most likely candidate for that is Tamara, Jane’s other best friend. Although Tamara usually hangs out with Donovan and Jane, she comes from a very traditional Jewish family and they don’t celebrate Halloween. She’s scared of her parents’ disapproval.
- Who overdoses on Halloween candy and ends up sick? Jane’s younger sister, Gabrielle. Although Gabrielle is a dancer, she also has a sweet tooth that’s the size of Texas. She loves chocolate, sugar cookies, and any and all sorts of candy. She really acts like a kid on Halloween and will probably wake up with a stomachache the next morning.
- Which character is most likely to place a curse/hex on someone and who would they curse? Desdemona without a doubt, given that she is the main villain of the novel. Desdemona is a vampire from the Regency era who has spent the last couple centuries trying to regain what she lost: her lover, her old lifestyle as the owner of a successful brothel, and her vampire family. If she was able to place a curse on the Vocati who killed her lover, she totally would have.
I hope this has intrigued you about my NaNoWriMo project. Feel free to add me as a buddy by clicking on the link here.